Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Labor/Delivery

I'm finally getting a chance to update this... its been a busy few days!

Ill start with the labor/delivery part of the story...
On Wednesday at 5:00 I was admitted to Labor and Delivery at Dupont Hospital in Ft Wayne. They gave me Cervadil to soften my cervix more, and they checked to see if I was dialated at all. Apparently, when I arrived I was already 1 cm dialated. Soooo... Dr. Wheeler decided that since I was already moving on my own, he would start Pitocin at 9:00. I layed around, and attempted to color (it was hard to color with an IV in my right forearm...) and we waited. At 9:00 Dr. Wheeler came in and broke my water (still at 1 cm). They also started me on the Pit. Around 10:30 the contractions started getting harder, and I got the epidural.  They checked me then, and I was between 1 and 2 cm. The nurse came in about 2 hours later to check me, and she was VERY surprised to find that I was 9 cm!! She told me that if I felt the urge to push to call her back in. I felt it faintly about 3 times, but it was so slight that I felt like I didn't need to call her in. She came rushing in saying she had a "hunch" about 10 min after that. She checked, and we were fully dialated. At that point, we had people RUNNING into the room, getting tools out and everything ready. At about 2:00 am on Thursday people were almost ready... we started pushing. I pushed through 2 contractions, and at 2:14 he was here!! They layed him on me, and suctioned him off and then took him to his bed. They cleaned him up, and helped him breathe a little bit. He was screaming, obviously not a happy camper. He weighed 5 pounds, 6 ounces and was 19 inches long. :) Then they took him away up to the NICU and got him settled. They moved me to my new room and around 4:00 we got to go up and see him again. It was hard... he was hooked up to machines and had wires all over him... but I got sick and asked to go back to my room. I fell asleep... and that was my first night!






No comments:

Post a Comment